Monday, July 30, 2012

Birds of a Feather

So I spent the weekend doing a little sewing!  I turned all those little HSTs into a small quilt top!

Birds of a Feather, flocking together!

I decided to group them by columns of color - if you look at it like you're reading a book, it looks like birds flapping their wings up and down and up and down...

Since this top is so sharp and modern looking, I'm thinking a border would just clutter it up.  Right now my plans are to either quilt the negative space or quilt straight lines in a grid (at the tops/bottoms/sides of the chevrons) and use some Kona Ash for the binding.  Or should I send it off to a longarm quilter?  I've never had anyone else quilt for me and I've done all of my quilting on my own sewing machine.  What do you think?

It's so hard to do real actual work when you just want to sew!  Ohhhh Monday.

PS - If you missed my last post, this is made with scraps from another quilt.  All the scraps are from Good Fortune by Kate Spain and I used Bella White for the white background.



6 comments:

  1. I think you're right about the border. Kona ash or a sky blue color would look great for the binding. I can totally see this quilted in some Red Pepper style. Maybe just straight-line it in a way that accentuates the flight movement in giant chevron patter? Following the diagonals top and bottom of each "wing", extending it to the center line of the next column, so that they go between the birds over there and then change direction to move up to the coordinating wing of the third column over? I don't know if that even made sense - hard to describe verbally what my eyes are picturing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you're saying! That would be awesome...and I just might take your advice!! I've been staring at this top since Sunday thinking I should just baste it now and start sewing. Now I'm even more motivated!! Thanks Lyn!

      Delete
  2. The quilt looks great! I agree, definitely doesn't need a border. Grey binding would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect as it is! Love Lyn's quilting idea. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! And thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete