Until last year when a good friend of mine from college talked me into making one for him. He lost his brother to cancer and had a pile of his t-shirts that would be great in a quilt. After doing some research online, I decided to take it on! Not only do I have a lot more knowledge about quilting and sewing (13 years after the first t-shirt quilt disaster), there's so much info on the internet. Fusible stabilizer!? 12-inch squares cut using a 12.5-inch perfectly square ruler!? Chalk pencils!? Wow this quilt should be cake.
|A stack of t-shirt blocks.|
When I got the shirts, the collars and sleeves had been cut off and they'd been washed. All I had to do was iron on the stabilizer then use my big square ruler to cut out the blocks. I was even provided with the layout of the t-shirts and color selections for the sashing, backing, and binding :) Cutting was a little scary, mostly just on the hockey jersey. It's pretty much completely not replaceable. That was the one that HAD to be cut perfectly on the first try. Unlucky for me, the number was sewn on a little wonky... but it turned out okay :)
|All 25 stabilized and cut blocks laid out on the floor, all ready for sashing!|
|Completed quilt top.|
|Pin basting! That spoon is handy - it opens/closes all the pins so I don't get hurt!|
Initially, I'd planned to just do an all-over meandering/stippling quilt pattern. Well, I wasn't too sure about getting through that hockey jersey in the middle (the jersey itself is no big deal, but the numbers are pretty stiff/heavy) and the quilt was SO HEAVY I don't think the FMQ would've turned out too well. Plus this needs to be more masculine than that. So I opted to outline the sashing. But then the quilting was spaced too far apart for the batting so I went corner to corner on each block and made a bunch of diamonds.
|Quilted and ready for binding!|
|Three extra blocks were chopped up for the back.|
Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!